Monday, June 22, 2009

How to Fire Someone

There are many laws that govern acceptable reasons to fire an employee: even in California, where "at-will" employment means you don't need a cause. Laws aside, there is one rule you should live by when contemplating the termination of an employee. Ask yourself: WILL THEY BE SURPRISED?

My first one was -- and all I could think was "shame on me". I hadn't done my job. She really was honestly surprised. (Many will react as if they are. But they know.)

That's it: just make sure they are not surprised. They know what is expected; they said they could do it; they aren't doing it; they have all the tools they need to do it; they have been trained and warned of the consequences.

Surprise – I am doing what I said I would do if you didn’t meet the standards!

No comments:

Post a Comment